Tara asks, “With the confirmation of BERT’s role in search ranking as Google DeepRank, could you explain more what this means?”
BERT is a model, which is like saying it’s a blender or a frying pan. It’s how BERT is used that impacts our understanding of its SEO impact.
BERT is great at:
– classification of text
– named entity recognition
– question answering
– concept and text extraction
– understanding complete text context
Based on those capabilities, how do these impact search, and how is it likely being fine-tuned? For that we turn to the Search Quality Rating Guidelines, aka at least part of the fine-tuning/training data set, along with user behaviors in production.
Can’t see anything? Watch it on YouTube here.
Listen to the audio here:
- Got a question for You Ask, I’ll Answer? Submit it here!
- Subscribe to my weekly newsletter for more useful marketing tips.
- Find older episodes of You Ask, I Answer …