Alan Kent, Developer Advocate at Google, posted a lightening talk on the Google YouTube channel around how to get your products in search. This can help e-commerce sites get more visibility and sales from Google Search.
None of the information in this video is specifically new but it is a great overview where Alan goes through:
- Where does Google display product information? Web search, image search, shopping, Google Maps for local inventory and more.
- The evolution of products on Google
- Why is product data different from other data
- About using structured data for product data
- How to get product data into Google Merchant Center: (a) crawling, (b) platform feed and (c) target content API calls
Here is a chart in the video of ways to get your products in Google Search today:
There are three primary strategies for getting your products in search:
(1) Web crawl which can take days between Googlebot crawls
(2) Feeds which is scheduled periodic updates (eg one or more times per day)
(3) Content API which …