RSTV Big Picture Pepsico v/s Potato Farmers:-
Anchor: Frank Rausan Pereira
Vijaykant Mishra, Chairman, Committee on Agri Business & Foods, PHD Chamber of Commerce
Tajamul Haque, Former Chairman, Commission for Agricultural Cost & Prices
Jayesh K. Unnikrishnan, Legal Advisor, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research
Vinay Bhardwaj, Head, Division of Crop Improvement, Central Potato Research Institute
Anand Yagnik, Advocate, Gujarat Farmers
- A variety of potatoes developed by FMCG giant Pepsico’s India division has triggered a patent-infringement battle in the country.
- The snacks and beverages major has sued a few farmers in Gujarat for growing potatoes which the company uses to make its Lay’s chips.
- The MNC has sought Rs 1 crore each from four farmers for cultivating the FC5 potato variety.
- In an Ahmedabad commercial court, the company claimed it is the registered breeder of FC5 under India’s Protection of Plant Varieties and Farmers’ Rights Act.
- PepsiCo has been developing and registering a variety of potatoes in India …