MONTREAL –The mayor of Montreal wants you to shop local this holiday season.
At a news conference Thursday morning, Mayor Valerie Plante announced six new measures and $6 million in funding aimed at enticing Montrealers to visit shopping arteries and buy from local merchants when checking off their shopping lists.
“I am giving us the collective challenge of taking advantage of the holiday season to save Montreal's commercial vitality,” she said. “It’s not the online shopping giants that need our help, but local businesses do.”
The new measures include:
- free on-street parking on weekends throughout the city from Nov. 14 to Dec. 31, making some 18,000 spaces available
- businesses can extend opening hours to 10 p.m. on weekdays and 7 p.m. on weekends from Nov. 14 to Dec. 31
- support and promotion to continue urban delivery for local merchants
- installations in the downtown area for the winter season designed to “add to the shopping experience,” said Plante.
- financial support for campaigns implemented by …