In the latest Google Lightning Talks video, John Mueller provides an introduction to HTTPS and goes over the basics of site migrations.
Mueller’s presentation includes the following talking points:
- How HTTPS works
- Why you might want to use HTTPS
- How to migrate from HTTP to HTTPS
- Common questions about HTTPS
Here’s a quick recap of each section of the video.
What is HTTPS?
HTTPS is a secure connection between sites and users. It protects websites from unwanted activity.
Why use HTTPS?
When it comes to website security, HTTPS ensures three things:
- Authentication: Users can be certain they’re engaging with your website and not an intermediary.
- Data integrity: A secure connection prevents data tampering, so users see your content as intended.
- Encryption: Information exchanged between a website and its users will be kept safe.
Web Browser Requirement
Another reason to use HTTPS is because modern browsers require it in order to utilize certain features.
HTTPS is required for the following types of …