On January 12, 2017, a 20-year-old man was transported to the hospital. The victim, Austin Parra, had an accident after his chair caught fire while he was sleeping, and he was burned as he carried the chair outside.
The investigators found out that the fire started after the cord that he used to charge his phone burned. The cord experience a short circuit while the phone was charging overnight. The cord had been made by Amazon.
The charger was sold by Amazon's private label line, AmazonBasics, which offers budget-friendly products, including consumer electronics, home goods, household appliances, and office accessories.
AmazonBasics was launched in 2009 and now offers more than 5,000 products. A massive number of their products have become bestsellers, and many have rated the products above four stars, according to Marketplace Pulse research.
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the sales increased as consumers stayed at home and brought their essentials online. However, consumers raised serious safety concerns …